Saturday, June 28, 2008

Deserving a very strong wtf

According to MSNBC, there's a 50/50 chance that we might have an ice-free Arctic by the end of the summer.

That's pretty messed up. I remember growing up in Seattle, and hearing talk of deforestation, ozone layer loss and global warming, which scared the heck out of me. It was like the Cold War, with the threat of nuclear war looming constantly over the horizon. Except instead of instant incineration, it'll be more of a slow cooker. I wasn't sure if I'd live to be the age of 50.

While, now grown up, I realize I probably will be alive at the age of 50, but the world I'll be handing over to my children looks pretty bleak. What's even sadder is that a lot of Americans still deny that we even have a problem. But with a hole in the Arctic ice shelf the size of California and two months of melting season left, I think we have a pretty big problem. At least the size of California.

No comments: